University of California, Berkeley Ph.D. Dissertation Template
The Graduate Division has a detailed "Dissertation Filing Guidelines (for Doctoral Students), however, I cannot find any Word template that incorporates those guidelines, so I started putting together a rough template with the following information that meets the format requirement in the Guideline.
- Title Page
- Copyright page or a blank page
- Optional preliminary pages such as:
- Dedication page
- Table of contents
- List of figures, list of tables, list of symbols
- Preface or introduction
- Curriculum Vitae
- Main text
I made a few updates to a previous version, you can download the updated Word template from here: University of California, Berkeley Ph.D. Dissertation Word Template. Two main updates are included:
- The dedication page must be placed after the copyright page.
- The landscape orientation page number setting, page numbers must appear in the same place throughout the document (as if it were bound like a book).
Please note the following reminder in the Q&A, this template is for your information only, you need always check the official requirement for guidance.
"Q1: I’ve seen other dissertations from former students that were/that had _____, should I follow that format?
A1: No. The formatting guidelines can be changed from time to time, so you should always consult the most current guidelines available on our website. This question is most frequently asked in regard to the issue of double vs. single spacing."
Please let me know if you find any problem so I can update it.
Last updated: May 13, 2015